Friday 19 February 2016

Marathon Training: My first half marathon experience

For me, running a half marathon is a big thing.  A couple of months ago I could barely run two miles.  So to reach the target of running 13.1 miles, in a race.  I saw this as an unachievable target.  But I believe that if you really want to do something, you can achieve it, no matter what it takes.  After all, in April I will be running a full marathon.

Me on the right after completing the race

I had a half marathon booked for Sunday 7th February.  Two weeks previous to this I had been struggling to fit in my training around work, and life.  But I was determined to complete a 10 mile run before the day of the half marathon.  I managed to do this 6 days before half marathon day and completed this in 1 hour 47 minutes.  I knew that then, this was the most prepared I could be before this half marathon.  No more long runs all week and a week of rest.

I had a couple of rest days then on the Thursday I went for a short 3 mile run, and completed this in 29 minutes.  I really wanted to do more but knew that I must not.  I needed to rest.

By Friday I was a little bit nervous but a little bit excited.  I did not not what to  expect.  I had never run a half marathon before.

Saturday morning I had another osteopath appointment and was informed that my knee was getting better.  At 6.30pm I went into work and finished my shift at 2am.  A couple of hours sleep and then my alarm was going off again.  It was half marathon day!!

I was feeling nervous.  I was feeling excited.  But I wasn't as terrified as I thought I would be.



Before I knew it I was at the start line and ready to begin.  It was such a great atmosphere chatting to the people around me and any nerves completely left me.  The first mile into the race my problem knee started hurting.  I couldn't believe it.  In the first mile?!  The knee doesn't normally start hurting until about 8 miles these days! But still I pushed through, I was determined to keep going.

The half marathon wasn't as hard as I thought, taking into consideration that 7 miles of it were uphill.  I finished in 2 hours and 21 minutes which isn't bad as it was my first half marathon, it was very hilly and I had a painful knee to contend with.



Crossing that finish was such an amazing feeling.  It felt like an achievement, a success.  Now I am looking for another half marathon to enter.  I can't wait to do another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Any comments are appreciated :)